Are you looking to make your asphalt pavement last longer? If you have been searching for the best solutions, you have landed just on the right page. In this post, we talk about how a seal coating can help you get the most out of your asphalt driveway. By the time you are done with this post, you will know everything you need to understand how a seal coating can help you achieve your driveway goals!
What is a Seal Coating?
Seal Coating is usually carried out when you are looking to improve the quality of your driveway. It is a common type of driveway resurfacing which we have been doing for so many years. It is generally done with the application of a special mixture that ensures that your driveway does not buckle under additional wear and tear. It is a cost-effective way of resurfacing a driveway that not only extends the life of the driveway but also improves how your house looks from the outside. It is often skid-resistant, anti-glare, and hard coat that also makes your driveway dust free. If there is one type of treatment that we highly recommend to our customers, it is a seal coating.
Importance of Applying a Seal Coating
Seal coating is one of the best investments you’ll ever make for your driveway. It will significantly slow down the rate of pavement deterioration and extend your driveway’s life. Seal coating is a part of a comprehensive pavement maintenance program that will help you improve the visual aesthetics, replace eroded surfaces, improve your pavement’s ability to resist oxidation from UV rays, and get you the best bang for your buck.
The importance of applying a seal coat is often connected with the limitations of an asphalt concrete pavement. We all know that asphalt pavement offers poor resistance to sunlight. The UV exposure will gradually lead to oxidation and rob the pavement of its plasticity. This will attract water molecules to the layers of asphalt which will result in surface cracking and raveling.
How to Apply a Seal Coating?
There are generally six steps to apply a seal coating on your driveway. Let’s discuss each of them briefly.
- Begin preparing the surface by patching or sealing the cracks on the driveway’s surface. This should be done compulsorily prior to making a seal.
- Next, create a mixture of asphalt and water. The mixture, the concentration of which is decided then and there, is sprayed onto the cleaned surface. The water starts evaporating immediately and all you have left on the surface is asphalt.
- Without wasting any time, you will have to spread a layer of gravel that will get stuck with the asphalt.
- Now once you have spread the asphalt, it’s time you start compacting and embedding the gravel into the asphalt. This process is usually carried with the help of a roller. One can even apply sand to quicken the consolidation process.
- The surface is not treated any further until the layers have cured. This might take up to two days. Seal coating is usually carried out in the summers so that water evaporates quickly. Doing it in summer will help you speed up the process.
- Lastly, the seal-coated surface is checked for irregularities. You make sure everything is fine and then sweep the surface to get rid of any loose gravel. That’s all there is required in the process of seal coating a driveway.
We have different kinds of seal coating available at our store. Our asphalt pavement experts know exactly what your driveway requires. If you are looking for the best contractor in town to get your driveway fixed, don’t hesitate to connect with us today. We would love to share important information and help you out! Give us a call or send us a note!